Akron area drivers know how much our roadways are with commercial trucks. Although these trucks are necessary to transfer goods through Ohio and across the country, they can also be dangerous for other vehicles on the road. Over 3,900 people are killed in truck accidents in each year with another 111,000 severely injured across the U.S according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. If a person is involved in a truck accident they can be seriously injured.
There are many common injuries that a truck accident causes. These include:
- Back injuries. Back injuries are common among truck accident victims. They can suffer injuries to their bones, soft tissues and muscles that can require months to years of rehabilitation. If a person suffers a spinal cord injury it can cause partial to complete paralysis in the arms, legs and other parts of the body.
- Neck injuries. A truck accident can cause a broken neck, whiplash, or damage to the neck’s muscles, ligaments or joints.
- Broken bones. A truck accident is extremely forceful and can cause broken arms, legs, wrists, ribs, etc.
- Internal bleeding. Abdominal trauma is often one of the leading causes of death in a truck accident. Many internal organs can be hurt by truck accidents including the spleen, liver, pancreas, and bladder.
- If a fuel tank ruptures in a crash, a fire could break out causing severe and very painful burn injuries.
A legal professional who is skilled in personal injury can help their client who has been the victim of a truck accident. They can visit the accident scene, interview witnesses and review the police report to help determine what happened. Compensation may be available for medical expenses, lost wages, future medical expenses, pain and suffering and other damages.